Course petitions are required if:
- A student has taken an introductory course equivalent to UCSC’s ANTH 1, 2, or 3 at another four-year university.
- A student has taken an Upper-Division Anthropology course at another university (including courses taken through EAP) and wants to petition for the course to count towards the Anthropology Major or Minor requirements (up to 10 units or two 5-unit courses).
- A student has participated in a Field School Program and wants to petition for the course to count towards the Anthropology Major requirements.
For all course petitions students must submit the following:
- Anthropology department “Petition for Course Substitution Form” (see embedded form below)
- Copy of the syllabus for the course. You will be prompted to upload a copy of the course syllabus in the form below. The department will not be able to determine whether the course satasfies major requirements without the following information:
- course description
- class outline with details on the topics that were covered
- required readings
- We will only approve credit towards the majors for courses that have been transferred to UCSC for credit. This means that courses must already be recorded in your MyUCSC portal.