Independent Studies

Independent (Individual) Studies courses are opportunities for students to arrange special courses to pursue independent work under the guidance of a faculty member.

The Anthropology department offers Independent Study courses for 2-units (6 hours of work per week) or 5-units (15 hours of work per week). Undeclared students may not take more than 7-units of Independent Study courses per quarter. Students who are declared in a major may only take more than 7-units of Independent Study courses per quarter with authorization from their department.

Independent Studies in the Anthropology department focus on lab work (ANTH 197 - Lab Tutorial), internships (ANTH 198 - Internship/Independent Field Study) and general research (ANTH 199 - Tutorial).

NOTE: Only ONE 5-unit Independent Study course can count towards the Anthropology Major requirements as an Elective. Independent Study courses CANNOT be counted towards the Minor requirements.

Process for Enrolling in an Independent Study

Step 1: Students interested in participating in an Independent Study with an Anthropology faculty member should print the Petition for Individual Studies Course form (copies are also available at the Anthropology Department office) and meet individually with the faculty member who will supervise the individual study.

Step 2: Complete the petition form with the faculty member, detailing the study plan, and have the faculty member sign the form to acknowledge their support of the independent study. The faculty member is ultimately responsible for evaluating the student’s work.

Step 3: The completed Petition for Individual Studies Course form must be returned to the Anthropology Undergraduate Adviser who will assign a class number.  

Step 4: Using the class number assigned by the Undergraduate Adviser, the student may enroll for the independent study course in MyUCSC.  Submitting the completed petition to the department does not complete the enrollment process.  It is the student’s responsibility to enroll in the course via MyUCSC.

See Also