Declaring Anthropology Major/Minor

Some of the original Cowell Lime Works lime kilns, along with other historic structures and artifacts, mark the main entrance to UC Santa Cruz. [Photo by Jim Mackenzie]

Students are advised to declare a major as soon as possible. University policy requires all students to declare a major before enrolling for their third year (or equivalent). Junior transfer students must declare a major during their second quarter at UCSC. Students who remain undeclared after these deadlines will not be able to enroll in classes until they have declared a major.

The declaration of major process takes time – it is recommended that you begin this process as soon as possible.

The following steps will guide you through the process of declaring the Anthropology Major or Minor. If you are declaring an Anthropology Minor then you MUST declare your major BEFORE coming to the anthropology department. If you are declaring the Combined Anthropology/Earth Sciences Major you must speak directly with both the Anthropology Undergraduate Adviser and the Earth & Planetary Sciences Undergraduate Adviser.

Major Qualifications

In order to qualify for the major, students must have received a "C" or better in at least one lower-division anthropology course (ANTH 1, 2 or 3) and have receieved either a "C" or better in a second lower-division anthropology course or be enrolled in a second lower-division anthropology course at the time of declaration. 

Students should submit a petition to declare by completing the petition for major/minor declaration form as soon as they complete the major qualification (MQ) courses or reach their declaration deadline quarter, whichever comes first. 

Students petitioning when the campus declaration deadline is imminent (i.e. in their sixth quarter, for students admitted as frosh), will either be approved, denied, or provided with conditions (e.g. completion of some courses with certain grades) that will be resolved within at most one more enrolled quarter, even if they have not completed MQ courses. 

Major/Minor Declaration Process

STEP 1: Make a copy of the Academic Planning Form (click on the image below). 

 Academic Planning Form


STEP 2: Make an appointment in Slug Success to meet an Anthropology Peer Adviser to review major requirements and start making an your academic plan.


STEP 3: Complete a Petition for Major/Minor Declaration (once you have completed Major Qualifications)

  • Anthropology Majors/Minors Only:  The Petition for Major/Minor Declaration will be completed through DocuSign.  Students must be logged into the UCSC Google account in order to access the petition which is linked below. 
  • The link will take you to a short form where you will be required to enter your full name and select the type of degree for which you are petitioning.  Please make sure that you enter correct information as you will not be able to change it once the form is submitted.  After you submit the form, you will be rerouted to DocuSign where you will complete the petition.
  • DocuSign will prompt you to complete all required fields and ensure that fields are completed correctly.

The form will prompt you to enter your Expected Graduation Term (EGT).  To view your EGT go to your MyUCSC Student Center, click on “Student Advising Summary”, then click on the “Degree” tab – your EGT will be listed here. Please note that the EGT for most students reflects one extra quarter beyond what they will need to complete requirements. You do not need to have your EGT adjusted if you are planning to graduate before the term indicated; if you need to attend after this term, however, it is very important you contact your college to request an adjustment or extension.

  • The completed petition will be routed automatically to he Anthropology Undergraduate Advising Office.


STEP 4: Make an appointment in Slug Success to meet with the Anthropology Undergraduate Adviser to complete the declaration process. Share your Academic Planning Form Google Doc with the Anthropology Undergraduate Adviser. It is very important that you complete this step, as you will not be declared until you do so!

Recommended: Meet with an Anthropology Senate Faculty member to discuss your major plans and academic plan. It is best to meet with faculty during their quarterly office hours or email them to schedule an appointment. The Anthropology Department does not assign faculty advisers – we suggest that you meet with a faculty member whose work coincides with your interests.  In addition to reviewing the required declaration paperwork, you should also talk with the faculty member about your intellectual and career interests, graduate school preparation, opportunities for experiential learning (e.g. internships or research), and options for satisfying the senior comprehensive requirement.

If you are a transfer student, you must provide the department with an unofficial copy of your transcript from any institution where you took anthropology courses that you would like to apply to the major requirements. Please do this as soon as possible as it may effect your enrollment in anthropology courses that have prerequisites.