Major in Anthropology
ANTHROPOLOGY MAJOR REQUIREMENTS:
The UCSC Anthropology Department offers a major which leads to a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree in Anthropology.
The Anthropology Major incorporates the three anthropological subfields of Anthropological Archaeology, Cultural Anthropology, and Physical Anthropology, while providing undergraduates with a solid grounding in theory and methods.
Students do NOT declare an emphasis or concentration within the Anthropology Major. All students therefore are general anthropology majors and complete the same requirements. However, students can choose to take additional courses in a specific area of anthropology while completing the upper-division Anthropology Electives required for the major, or by choosing to take courses above and beyond what is required for the major.
**Please note: The major requirements have been revised. Students admitted before 2013 may abide by old catalog rights or adhere to the new requirements. There are now 3 Lower Division (ANTH 1, 2 & 3) and 10 Upper Division courses required for the major. ANTH 4/80's series courses have been converted into ANTH 110 "at large" courses. These satisfy GE's, are open to all students and do not have prerequisites. Students may take these or any other Upper Division Anth course to satisfy their electives. For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
THREE Lower-Division Courses
- ANTH 1: Introduction to Human Evolution
- ANTH 2: Introduction to Cultural Anthropology
- ANTH 3: Introduction to Archaeology
TEN Upper-Division Courses
- 1 course in Physical Anthropology OR Archaeology
- 1 course in Ethnographic Area Studies
- 1 course in Sociocultural Anthropology
- 1 course in Theory
- 5 Anthropology Electives (any additional upper-division anthropology courses)
- 1 Senior Comprehensive Requirement, which can be satisfied in ONE of three ways:
- Senior Seminar (usually courses numbered ANTH 194)
- Graduate Seminar (200-level course) - by petition only
- Senior Thesis plus one additional elective - by petition only
For more detailed information on Anthropology Major requirements see the Anthropology Undergraduate Handbook.
Also download a copy of the Anthropology Major & Minor Course Requirements Checklist.