|Division||Social Sciences Division|
|Affiliations||Humanities Division, |
Feminist Studies Department,
East Asian Studies
|Office||323 Social Sciences 1|
|Office Hours||Tu 12-2pm|
|Campus Mail Stop||Social Sciences 1 Faculty Services|
Teaching Specialties: Critical theory, feminist anthropology, popular culture, political economy, contemporary China, gender and sexuality.
Area of Research: Urban political economy and culture, popular culture, gender and science, transnational capitalism.
Area of Fieldwork: China
Biography, Education and Training
B.A., Brown University
M.A., Ph.D., Stanford University
- Desiring China: Experiments in Neoliberalism, Sexuality and Public Culture. Duke University Press. 2007.
- Other Modernities: Gendered Yearnings in China after Socialism. University of California Press. 1999.
- Engendering China: Women, Culture and the State (with Christina Gilmartin, Gail Hershatter, and Tyrene White). Cambridge: Harvard University Press. 1994.
- "Modernity's Masculine Fantasies," In Bruce Knauft (ed.), Critically Modern: Alternatives, Alterities, Anthropologies. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, pp. 175-193. 2002.
- "Discrepant Modernities and Their Discontents," Positions: East Asia Cultures Critique 9(3):637-649. 2001.
- "'Yearnings': Televisual Love and Melodramatic Politics in Contemporary China," American Ethnologist 21 (4): 700-722, November 1994.